Friday, September 11, 2015

Book Spotlight: The Camelot Code

It's no secret I'm a big fan of Arthurian legend. In fact, I even drew from it when naming my daughter. (Her name is Avalon.) There's just something about the mystery and legend of the King Arthur story that always draws me in. One of my favorite books of all time is "The Mists of Avalon" which is a retelling of the story from the female characters' points of view.

And that's the great thing, I think, about the tale and why it's been around for so long. Everyone who reads it longs to tell their version of the story. To give their own interpretation. One of my favorite recent ones that really turned things on its head was the BBC show Merlin. I loved seeing Merlin not as a doddering old wizard but a teen boy, charged with protecting the once and future king.

Plus there was a dragon and you know I love me some dragons.

My very first book was actually an Arthurian time travel. It was a rip from the old Mark Twain novel, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Mine had a bit of a twist though - it was A Connecticut FASHIONISTA in King Arthur's Court. Basically the idea was a fashion editor goes back in time and has to relive Arthurian legend. (And fall in love with the yummy Lancelot.)

Which brings me to the book you see above. The Camelot Code. The Camelot Code is also a time travel, but with a bit of a different spin. Imagine King Arthur as a teen, before he pulled the sword from the stone. When a valuable relic is accidentally dropped into Merlin's Well of Dreams he goes after it - and ends up in 21st century America instead. Not good. Even worse? When he ends up Googling himself and finding out his destiny? He no longer wants to return to his time and pull the sword from the stone - and ends up joining the football team instead.

Now it's up to our fearless 21st century gamer geeks -- Sophie and Stu -- to right this wrong. Fill in for Arthur until he gets back where he belongs and not let history fall apart in the process. All the while avoiding being killed by a villain named Morgan Le Fay, who they once thought only existed in their favorite video game.

It was so much fun putting my mark on Arthurian legend in this book. And I hope readers enjoy this little twist just as much!


To purchase The Camelot Code:

Amazon Kindle

Paperback (From Amazon)


Paperback (from B&N)



No comments: