Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mother of Dragons at Dragon Con!

Hey all,

As many of you probably already know, I am obsessed with Game of Thrones (the books AND the show!) I'm also releasing Scorched, my own dragon book in September. So, of course, when it came to picking out my cosplay for Dragon Con this year, I thought no further than the Mother of Dragons herself, the Khaleesi,  Daenerys Stormborn.

In fact, I actually have two costumes for the con. The first is her wedding dress from Season One where she married Khal Drogo. (She wears it again during the funeral pyre scene.)

I found this seamstress on Etsy to make it for me. She did a great job!

And then, for another day, I commissioned the dress she wore in Qarth

I have to admit, I'm a little worried about the cleavage in this one... :) But we'll see!

I have also ordered a custom wig and now all I need to get are my dragons!! I don't know if maybe for costume #1 I'll have the eggs and then costume #2 I'll have "live" dragons. Eggs might be a pain to carry around the con, but hey, sacrifices must be made!! (I'm also wondering if I should get purple contacts, so I can have purple eyes like she does in the books...) 

The problem is I'm not only ATTENDING Dragon Con, I'm a guest, which means I'll be on a ton of panels. I'll also be selling copies of Scorched in a vendor booth. So I need costumes that can travel well as conversing from the Hyatt to the Marriott (YA Track to the Dark Fantasy and Horror Tracks) can be a bit....crazy. 

I also have a third costume which is more vampire related than dragon related. I'll talk about that in a future post. 

I apologize in advance - there may be MANY Dragon Con posts to come... I'm so excited to be going again this year!! And for the first time we have a hotel room in The Hyatt--so we'll be at the center of all action!

Cannot wait!



miki said...

i really don't mind getting those post ^^ at least it's a little like i participate too^^

those dress are gorgeous the seamstress really did well! i hope we will get at least one picture of you wearing them

Cassandra Loskot said...

I didn't even know there was a dragon con :(

Where can I read about this :)

Thank you for sharing and your dresses are beautiful :)

Mari Mancusi said...

Thanks guys! Dragon Con is in Atlanta every year on Labor Day weekend. 50,000 fans come down to revel in geek and fantasy culture. It's kind of like a Comic Con but more fan driven vs. Hollywood driven. Everyone has the most amazing costumes and there are great parties and panels and a huge parade... It's my favorite event of the year!!

Here's more information on it:

And yes! I will post photos of me in the costumes during the event!!! :)


Heather Holden said...

I don't know anything about Game of Thrones, but wow, those dresses are both so stunning!

christine edwards said...

I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!